by: Jenn Cole
This past weekend marked the end of the 2016 Triangle Parade of Homes. The parade of homes runs through 3 weekends in October every year. This is when builders are putting out the best of their best. The homes are voted on by out of town judges. There are gold, silver, and bronze winners for every price point. All homes that are judged receive a special feature award. This is a really big deal for our new construction market!
Every year, I drag my husband around town with me to look at as many homes as we can squeeze into a day or two. This year we mainly focused on homes that were Inside the Beltline. We also ran out to see the home at North Ridge Country Club and one at Briar Chapel.
The one in Briar Chapel was a special one to me. This one my sister supervised the build for the annual "Build Like a Girl House" for Garman Homes. I must say that I was a very proud big sister and the group the refer to as the "pretty committee" hit the ball out of the park on this one. This is their current model home so you can stop by and see what I am speaking about.
Overall, we noticed many trends that seem to be happening currently in the new home building market.
1. Big outdoor spaces and retractable doors and screens. One of the things I love most about our area is how much time you can spend outdoors. One of the things I dislike about our area, is the incredible amount of bugs and mosquitos! This gave the best of both worlds.
2. Gray is the new black. Lots of gray from walls, to tiles, to granite, to kitchen cabinets. I prefer a little pop of color personally, but I guess you can get that other places.
3. Lighter hardwood floors and hexagon tiles. Dark hardwood floors look like they are being changed to lighter options. I have a bee obsession so of course I am drawn to the hexagon tiles! I do love both of these trends.....I think I want to do it in my own home. Someday.
4. Secret pantry. We saw this in 2 different homes. It was custom cabinetry that looked like it was a boring old cabinet. However, you opened it up and were able to walk inside. One was large enough that it was even meant to house the AV equipment. It was your own personal Harry Potter room.
5. Statement light fixtures. They are shiny, big and bright. Chandeliers are aplenty, not for only dining rooms any more. Big Ass fans were seen often as well. I love that they make ceiling fans pretty now.
6. Leathered granite. When someone falls in love with a home I can tell because they normally start touching things. Why not add some texture to the countertops.
If you were able to make it out to any of the parade homes this year, I would love to know what you thought. Comment in the section below!